The epitome of comfort food – homemade pie. I tweaked a blueberry pie recipe I found online* and made a deliciously jammy pie. Best with fresh local blueberries, it is perfect served warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces blueberry jam
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- Flour, for dusting
- Sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- For Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and water. Add to a saucepan and heat rapidly until thickened. Set aside to cool as you prepare the pastry. Once cooled add the berries and lemon juice. Fold in the blueberry jam until combined.
- For Dough: Combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter. Whisk together egg, water and vinegar. Add to flour mixture tossing lightly with a fork. Turn out onto a lightly floured cutting board and using your hands combine dough. Separate into 2 single crusts. Wrap 1 crust in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill. Roll out the other crust and line the bottom of a pie plate with it.
- Pour filling into dough lined pie pan. Roll out second crust and place atop filling. Cut vents in center of top crust and flute rim. Sprinkle top lightly with sugar. Place pie onto a baking sheet and into the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, cut and enjoy!
*Recipe adapted from foodnetwork.com