A silky panna cotta scented with a hint of lemon is the perfect end a hearty Italian meal. It is also accompanied by a flavorful blueberry compote made with local berries.
4 leaves gelatin
1 lb milk
5 oz sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1/2 lemon, zested
1 lb cream
2 1/2 cups Blueberries, washed, divided
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Water
1/2 lemon, sliced thin and quartered
Edible Flowers including brassica, borage and lavender
For Panna Cotta:
- Bloom the gelatin in ice water.
- Heat 8 oz milk with sugar, vanilla bean and lemon zest in a russe. Bring to a boil.
- Squeeze water from gelatin and add to hot milk mixture. Add remaining milk and cream.
- Pour mixture into molds and refrigerate until set.
For Compote and Service:
- Combine 1 1/2 cups blueberries, sugar, water and lemon quarters in a russe and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer over medium heat until berries burst, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining cup of berries. Cook until compote thickens and coats the back of a spoon, stirring often, about another 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with panna cotta.
- Garnish the plate with edible flowers.