I used leftover corn to come up with this salad, but it’s so great I would buy fresh corn solely for this salad too. Use fresh in-season sweet corn when possible. Creamy avocado pairs very well with sweet charred corn, and the bright acidity of lime juice and tomatoes.
3 ears corn on the cob
1 avocado, diced
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
juice of 1/2 lime (or 1 full lime if small)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- If corn is precooked (steamed, boiled, grilled, etc), preheat grill to medium-high.
- Drizzle cobs with extra virgin olive oil and season aggressively with salt, pepper an chili powder.
- Grill corn on all sides to warm through and get a slight char. If corn isn’t precooked, it can be steamed first and then grilled or grilled completely until cooked through.
- While corn is grilling, prep avocado and tomato and set aside in a bowl.
- Remove corn from the grill. Slice in half leaving two flat ends. Using a sharp chef’s knife, hold the cob upright with the flat end on the cutting board and slice the kernels off the cob.
- In a large bowl, mix the corn kernels with the avocado and tomato. Add lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Finish with chopped cilantro and serve.